I cannot abide any longer the farce that is Donald Trump. Seemingly every day comes another example of how dangerous he is to America and to the world: the list of outrageous, terrifying, racist, and disgusting things he has said and continues to say is too voluminous to enumerate in a short blog post (although that’s precisely what I do below!), but taken together they represent a severe threat to the rights of free people and the peace and prosperity of the world. And I don’t care how unlikely he is to prevail in the presidential contest–the fact that for the next few months he has a megaphone from which to spout his brand of fascism is enough for me to issue a call to all rational people. It is time that all of us–the media, voters, community leaders, the business community, politicians–hold his feet to the fire every time he speaks. It is time that all of us disavow and pick apart every comment or idea he excretes. It is time that we question, denounce, and dismiss him and all he represents.
Of course this call mostly goes out to Republicans, for he is their candidate and their creation. It is unacceptable that they concede his utter lack of understanding of the issues (as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell did) or recognize his racism (as Speaker Paul Ryan did) on the one hand while continuing to support him on the other. Either you recognize him for what he is and take away his microphone, or you acquiesce to fascism and let him spew hatred unfettered by any semblance of decency, dignity, sanity, or respect.
Let’s be exceedingly clear. A vote for Donald Trump is a vote for a man who:
- Has called women dogs and fat pigs
- Has described Mexicans as rapists and murderers
- Led the birther movement that claimed President Obama is not an American, and to this day has not apologized for his actions or conceded that he is, indeed, American
- Proposed banning an entire religion from entering the country
- Mocked the disabled
- Ascribed a reporter’s tough questions to her being on her period
- Claimed that a judge cannot be impartial because he is “Mexican” (even though he is American-born, and it’s irrelevant either way)
- Insinuated that Obama is sympathetic to terrorists
- Has suggested that people who do not report on their neighbors should be punished
- Has said that women who get abortions should be punished
- Has bragged about the size of his penis
- Has time and again engaged in business practices that are shady at best and almost certainly illegal
The list goes on. From now until the election it is incumbent on all of us to speak out, to take action, and to do everything we can to prevent this man from becoming President of the United States. Far too many people are willing to rationalize his comments, dismiss them as something he does not mean, or argue that despite who he is it’s more important to have a Republican in the White House than to pay attention to what this demagogue represents.
It has become cliché to accuse someone we do not like of being Hitler, but in this case the analogy is shockingly appropriate. I therefore call on all rational people to do something to stop the wave of insanity that is sweeping across the country, and to do so before it drowns all of us.